Construction Project Manager (Retail / Office)
General Summary: The Construction Manager (Retail / Office) is responsible for the execution oversight of vertical development efforts . This includes project budget management, construction monitoring, field supervision, inspection of work performed by contractors and communication, while ensuring alignment with the company’s short and long term goals.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepares and manages project-related budgets and other necessary documentation through on-line and off-line tools
- Outlines project resource requirements, including engagement of consultants and contractors
- Drafts RFPs and reviews and qualifies consultant and contractor proposals
- Reviews and administers project contracts, including those from consultants, contractors, etc.
- Recommends selections for project award
- Manages the day-to-day operational and tactical aspects of assigned projects
- Coordinates necessary development team members comprised of internal departments and external operating partners to manage the scope, layout, design and other criteria regarding the projects
- Oversees contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, tenants, etc. during all phases of the projects
- Monitors and reports project activities to ensure each project phase is progressing on schedule and within prescribed financial parameters
- Maintains communication and provides timely and accurate project documentation and reporting regarding project scope, design, budget, quality and schedule agreements
- Facilitates team meetings for project planning, communicating project information, status updates and addressing issues
- Resolves issues in a timely manner and communicates difficult/sensitive information tactfully
- Enforces standards and procedures for project planning, design, reporting, decision making, and documentation
- Ensures all project documentation is complete, current and stored appropriately
- Provides oversight and evaluates contractors, ensures adherence to project and quality standards and addresses issues as necessary
- Closes out projects for transfer with all required certificates, inspections and documents as required
- Demonstrates ability to foster teamwork, collaboration and build relationships
- Demonstrates understanding of bidding and procurement requirements
- Understands critical path management and the utilization of schedules to establish timelines, meet deadlines and prioritize appropriately
- Coordinates all activities related to the planning and construction of development projects
- Other duties as assigned
- 7 years’ experience in the construction industry with a focus on commercial properties including retail and office. Experience working for a developer preferred.
- Bachelor degree in construction management, engineering, or other related discipline or equivalent experience.
- Understanding of jurisdictional processes required to obtain all necessary permits and entitlements
- Must spend a substantial amount of time on construction sites monitoring and reporting on activity.
- Must manage more than one project at a time, handling conflicting priorities.
- Must be able to maintain a positive and productive work attitude and a team orientated mind-set
- Exceptional leadership qualities and communication skills with the ability to maintain good relations with employees, supervisors, governmental agencies and clients
- Ability to successfully manage cross functional relationships while ensuring accountability for deadlines and commitments
- Strong ability to problem solve while not sacrificing project goals
- Must radiate a high level of contagious energy, never complacent or content with status-quo
- Ability to proactively identify critical path tasks and, without exception, execute on those tasks
- Effective communication, cooperation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to maintain a focus on both the big picture and the details
- Must be able to travel by car to various project locations within a 3 hour distance on a regular basis
- PC proficiency to include (but not limited to) Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project or other Project Planning/Tracking software preferred
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Must be physically able to do assigned work as outlined above
- Must be physically able to sit and use the computer for hours at a time
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
- Must be able to communicate in English effectively with other individuals
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this position. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duty requested by the supervisor.